Saturday, November 27, 2010

Letter To My Co-Workers


From 30 Days


Dear Co-Workers

I know that things haven’t been that great in the office of late.

I mean lets face it. Resource cutbacks, hiring freezes, extreme case loads, and the never ending budget crisis have been taking their toll on all of us.

But at least we have one good thing going for us. Well, at least I have one good thing going for me. I am only about a year away from retirement. After 20 years in the salt mines, I finally get to head for the beach....permanently.

I don’t know if the system will be around long enough that will allow you to retire, but I hope it is. It makes all the years of frustration worth it in the end.

Now I just have to hold my breath and hope that the business doesn't collapse before I can finally check out.

The ‘Short Timer’


Lotus07

4 comments:

  1. i have 28 more years. hopefully ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I'm going to need it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Lotus,

    As you might know, here in Western Europe we have a very different pension system than in the United States.

    My question is, does the present melt down of share holder value has an influence on the amount of money you will get when on retirement or not?

    Georg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Georg: Yes and no. The amount of retirement contribution is constant as long as I am employeed, but when all is said and done, if the currency is devalued over time, the amount I get from the retirement fund is worth less, than if the economy had stayed strong. There is no cost of living 'adjustment' to retirement payments one you have retired here.

    ReplyDelete