Thursday, September 17, 2015

Cinema Cycle - Janet Jackson: The Velvet Rope Tour


CINEMA CYCLE
(Cardio Workout And Reviewing Movies At The Same Time)

08617.jpg
Screenshot_2015-09-16-12-20-28.jpg




DATE VIEWED: 09/16/2015


FORMAT: LaserDisc

TIME RIDDEN / FILM LENGTH: 2 hours 3 minutes

DISTANCE RIDDEN WHILE VIEWING: 28.9 miles

TOTAL CINEMA MILES LOGGED: 2691.8 miles

SYNOPSIS: (Set List from Wikipedia)

  1. "Video Introduction" (contains elements from "Someday is Tonight", "Rhythm Nation", "Livin' in a World (They Didn't Make)", "Special", "Escapade", "Black Cat")
  2. "Velvet Rope"
  3. "If"
  4. "You"
  5. Medley:
  6. Control Medley:
  7. Medley:
  8. "Any Time, Any Place" (Instrumental Interlude)
  9. "Rope Burn"
  10. "What About" 3 (contains an instrumental excerpt of Kool & the Gang's "Jungle Boogie")
  11. "Special"
Encore
1 Only performed in the final performance in Tokyo, Japan
2 Performed only on the European shows
3 Cut at some shows including Oakland, CA
4 Added to the setlist halfway through the European leg of the tour

CONCEPT IN RELATION TO THE VIEWER:   Feeding off the angst, fear, joy, expectation, and worry of youth.  A recording artist gets in touch with her fans - group hug!

PROS AND CONS:
A lot of things went through my mind watching this 2 hour long concert film shot at Madison Square Garden in 1998.  

What had me thinking was the target audience, fan base and the logistics of putting something like this concert on, night after night.  What did not really engage me that much was the music.  While I knew several of the songs that Janet belted out, most here unknown to me and after a while they all start to sound the same.  

Now I know what sort of concerts all those young kids that flock to Zumba classes, "Dancing With the Stars" and watch hip hop dance movies such as "Bring It" go to.  While it was fun to watch, I am glad I was not in the screaming audience.  


To read an overview of this project, check out this status posting.  

This film is a part of my LaserDisc Collection.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) entry for this film. 

This film was viewed while exercising on my recumbent cycle.  A summary of my time spent working out on my journey through movie-land can be found on Strava.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment