Friday, November 12, 2010

Letter To The Younger Generation


From 30 Days



Dear Younger Generation,

There is something I do, that many of you don’t seem able to do. Something that used to be pretty standard. Something that used to be the back bone of the ‘American Ethic’.

I haven’t seen this much in recent memory. I don’t know if it is still there, or if it has been drummed out of our heads.

It is the ability to stick with a task until it is done. Giving yourself a hard goal, and finishing it all the way through, even if it takes years or decades. Even if the end result isn’t what you expected, you still stick it out....until the end.

Marriages were supposed to be like that, so were jobs and educational goals. Trusting in a political ideal and investing for the long term were other examples. They all appear to have gone by the wayside.

I suppose that we want health, wealth, gratification and happiness in the short term these days. They are no longer things to be worked at and worked for.

I look back over my life, and the most gratifying things I have done are the ones I struggled for. And some of those things took a lot of struggling.

Faster isn’t always better. Faster isn’t always possible. Faster seldom breeds character.

Slow down.....stay the course. In the long run, it is more than worth it.

Back to the coal mine......


Lotus07

1 comment:

  1. "and the most gratifying things I have done are the ones I struggled for."

    Most definite.

    ReplyDelete