Friday, November 26, 2010

Letter to My Shrink


From 30 Days


Dear Dr. Freud,

You asked at our last session if I ever considered pulling the plug. You know, checking out....turning off the lights.

After some thought about it, I would have to say yes, I have. I mean, I think we all have at one time or another. Whether or not we act on those thoughts is the issue here.

I believe that part of the human experience, is dealing with depression, loss and a sense of hopelessness that we all have to face sooner or later.

Mine was near the tail end of college, with a bleak economic future and most of my friends having left to pursue other goals, I found myself at a dead end, at the ripe old age of 24. I didn’t see the future as holding much promise for me back then.

But hope springs eternal, and I held to the concept that we really can’t know what the next sunrise will bring. The thought of ending it all with the possibility that everything could change tomorrow just didn’t make a lot of sense.

Some of us see the glass half empty and others the glass half full. I suppose I am one of the lucky ones that see the more optimistic side of things.

My life since has had its ups and downs, and it probably hasn’t been everything I had hoped it would be. But it has been an interesting ride.

But as for giving up.....I think the chances are, I will probably out-live you.

Your Patient,


Lotus07

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely written.

    We all have up and down days but isn't that what just makes us stronger? i like to think so.

    The problem with people committing suicide is they believe if they "pull the plug" they will be getting rid of their problems. What they fail to realize is the heartache they leave behind for their loved ones.

    ReplyDelete