Friday, June 3, 2011

First Friday Flashbacks


First published: July 24, 2008
One of the many lessons that life has taught me. I hope my grandchildren read this, before it is too late.


Back Of The Bus





Never really arrives

One of the axioms of life that I have learned is, 'It all depends on where you sit'. Much like the 'Glass half empty, glass half full' question, it tells a lot about a person even though they don't know it.

From the time we were in grade school, certain children always wanted to sit in the back of the bus. They usually wanted to be as far away from authority (the bus driver) as possible, so they wouldn't be caught doing things they weren't supposed to.

Fast forward to college, and I realized that the same thing applied to 20-somethings. The slacker students always sat in the back of the class. They rarely lasted more than a semester. In the beginning, I usually sat somewhere in the middle of the classes. I suppose I was a slight under-achiever.

Then it dawned on me in my junior year. If you wanted to get ahead in life you had to take on the world and meet it face to face. The "A" students always sat in the front row. So I started sitting in the front row. I quickly realized that when you do this, you are mano y mano with the instructor, you have to have your homework done, you have to be prepared and sharp. You have to be engaged. You aren't a spectator anymore, you are in the bull ring.

While taking the bus home from work, I usually stand near the exit. That way, I don't have to worry about finding a seat and who might end up sitting next to me. The back of the bus is always crowded, with the transients, the homeless and the rebellious, slacker youth.

I am so glad I learned to move to the head of the class in college. Once you muster up the courage to sit in the front row, you will never sit in the back of the bus again.

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes I used to sit in the back of the class if I wanted to get homework done for a different class during class time. :-) :-)

    I also sat in front a lot in my hard classes before I realized that I needed glasses. :-)

    No seriously though, it's good that you found your motivation! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was home schooled but I understand totally what you're getting at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that I did better in class when I was a front row student, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first went to college fresh out of high school, I did sit way in the back. When I went back to school as an adult, I sat right in front of the teacher, had the best view of the blackboard, and asked and answered so many questions I was considered the teacher's pet!
    What a difference a lifetime makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm. I just remember choosing seats nearest to the door, for nearly late arrivals and quick exits.

    Yep, that's pretty much still me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i used to sit in the back, but mostly because then i could tip my seat back against the window and put my feet up and look cool.

    that probably tells more about me that i wanted to share...

    ReplyDelete