Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Project #23769


From BLOGS_IMAGES


I finished a project this past weekend. All my weekends are comprised of working on projects these days. The wife and I are bound and determined to clean our slate by the end of the year and then start downsizing.

The project pictured here is the tiered flower boxes in the front of our house. This has been something that has been in the workds for a long time. I had experimented with making flower boxes in the past and knew how to do it. It was just a matter of cutting a lot of wood, doing a lot of painting and then planting flowers in 108 degree weather. What I thought was going to take about a month to complete, in reality, took about six months.

From BLOGS_IMAGES


As with most projects, this one was pretty grandiose in the beginning. Needless to say it has be paired down a bit here, but the results still look pretty good. Originally, the boxes were supposed to wrap around the porch, but time and money sort of meant that original concept had to be downsized. The FlowerBox 2.0 upgrade that includes the sides of the porch may or may not get finished next year.

There was a reason for creating these beyond the ascetic of making the house look nicer. The summer sun rarely gets to the back of the flowerbeds due to the low wall at the front of the porch, which made it hard for most flowers to prosper and grow not to mention hiding them behind the flowers in front. By creating levels, the sun is able to hit all the beds equally and hopefully, make for more flowers and more color. Time will tell.

From BLOGS_IMAGES


Now that the front yard is pretty much done for this year, I am off to the back yard, where I have an even bigger and more bizarre project about to commence. If I am luck, that one might be completed by November. It will make this project look tame by comparison.

7 comments:

  1. pretty : )

    I loathe home improvement projects. I was born to be a renter.

    Best of luck to you though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work!!

    I love how the clock hanging on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love home improvement projects! Well the idea of it. And of course the finished product. Its the parts in the middle that are a bit annoying; the actually improving...

    Fantastic job Bruce. It looks imaculate. I love the personal touches to the front of the house

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks nice! I hope the flowers enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good idea that I might steal, if I can get it passed my wife...
    And you even mowed the yard for the blog pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great. Your grass is so smooth. Come over to my place and do that to my grass.

    ReplyDelete