Wednesday, October 15, 2008

R.I.P.



Commute In Peace


I have written a lot of blogs about death over the years, here, here and here. Not death per-sae, but the way we deal with it and perceive it.

It seemed that when the final door closed and we saw the bright light at the end of the tunnel, the goal was to leave behind something to mark your place in history. A pyramid, a tomb, a head stone, or a large university building with your name on it. Things that would denote your status during your time on this rock. Those days seem to be long gone.

A stroll through any cemetery indicates that ornate headstones are quickly giving way to simple markers. The markers are just for the folks that actually want to be buried. Most folks now opt for the cremation route and if they are lucky they get a place on the mantle or get shot into space. They leave little behind to be remembered by.

Which is why some of the customs that have sprung up in the American Southwest where I live seem somewhat whimsical and puzzling to me. I have the assumption that some of these 'markers' have to do with the Hispanic Culture that is pervasive here, but I am not sure. I am curious to know if any of my readers see these sorts of memorials in your neck of the woods.

I don't know if this is common in other parts of the country or whether we just have more traffic deaths per capita here in Arizona. However, it appears to be customary for friends and relatives of the deceased to erect a small memorial on the location of the death. This usually means a small cross and some plastic flowers by the side of the road. There are A LOT of these in Arizona. On some stretches of rural highway there is usually one every mile or so. Talk about highways of death?

The other oddity within the Hispanic Community is the rear window decal. These decals proclaim 'In Loving Memory [Someone's Name] 19XX to 20XX". Since Hispanics here seem to view their automobiles as a form of self expression and status, putting a loved one's name on their vehicle is a form of high honor. Sort of like a mobile tombstone that gets more exposure.

My only question is, when the car is wrecked, and eventually scraped, is this eulogy transferred to another vehicle or just relegated to the scrape heap with the rest of the car? If so, then their memory is only lasting for the next 5 years or 50,000 miles, which ever comes first.

10 comments:

  1. I have seen people get tattoos of loved ones in memory but I have never seen or even heard of a 'mobile tombstone.'

    You learn something new everyday.

    XOXO,
    CP

    ReplyDelete
  2. intersting and funny question you ask. it reminds me of roadside memorial crosses. which i disagee with. at least mobile toumbstones are on private property.

    is that chris rock in that pic? i didnt know he died. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How unusual. No such thing over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the rear window thingy i have not seen too often, but i see the roadside memorials WAAAY to often for my tastes....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out here, we have plenty of decals- especially of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the symbol of Chihuahua (the Mexican state, not the dog), and lots and lots of Hispanic last names. We also have plenty of roadside memorials, as we have dangerous road conditions and plenty of overconfident people.

    I have my own ideas of what I want done with my remains, and it tends to creep people out but i think it's cool. I'll blog about that sometime, perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I was only one post behind. I must have caught up a bit while I was gone without letting my reader know.

    ANYWAY, I'm sure this is irreverent, but this post is hilarious. I find many of the same things puzzling... more than a little!

    The roadside-cross-with-plastic-flwoers thing is everywhere. (I have been/lived in other places than the Southwest and seen lots of it.) Someone is going to hate me for this (or a lot of someones), but it's a bit morbid for me. I don't like driving down a road and seeing 47 crosses in the stretch of a few miles. It IS a highway of death. Maybe it raises awareness of some sort. Maybe. But I don't like it. And if it was my loved one, I wouldn't want to be reminded of it in a big way every. single. time I passed. Just being there is reminder enough. Maybe it's just my extreme, introverted, non-attention-seeking personality, but death of loved ones is personal to me and not to be displayed to the planet.

    I live in a Hispanic community in the Southwest as well, but I've never seen the car decals. But I know some people here that I can imagine doing such a thing. I chuckle at your rhetorical questions in relation to this! I have questions about a lot of things here, but I keep them to myself. Thanks for asking them out loud. I'm sure you'll ask more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Death is a touchy subject for me.

    I don't think I am grown up enough to adequately think about it yet.

    But, did enjoy this post. And I hope that when I pass, I have a car detail on the side of someone's house or home furnishing. A good home furnishing, something made by the amish, that way it won't be thrown away.

    That way, it will be transient but permanent at the same time.

    Ok-getting closer to talking about death.

    wee hee

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh you see those all over Europe too, the little crosses with bunches of wilted flowers.(not so hot on the plastic ones over here, people might have issues with being "green" and all)
    Personally i think (or hope) they make drivers think for a moment and maybe just maybe reduce their speed.

    the mobile tombstone craze hasnt caught on over here on a big scale but i seen a couple of cars here in Southeast england displaying words of mourning for friends who went over to the other side.

    I do love the old cemetaries in Austria and southern Germany where the relatives put a picture of the deceased up. makes it kinda personal,dont you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never seen this on a car... does give pause for thought. I have, however, seen the road side memorials. They are everywhere. Sometimes there is a single flower planted in a random place that makes me wonder if someone put it there for the same reason on the highway.

    I want someone to wear my ashes around their neck. Or perhaps a statue of my likeness placed somewhere lovely... I'll have to think on this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that car vibe is weird. The plastic flowers / cross on the side of the road we get here in South Africa too. Very odd. If I die please don't anyone use plastic flowers to remember me!!

    ReplyDelete