Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Cinema Cycle - Glenn Gould - Vol 1

CINEMA CYCLE
(Cardio Workout And Reviewing Movies At The Same Time)


SYNOPSIS: Musical performances that are so mechanical and preceice that robots would have a hard time playing them.

CONCEPT IN RELATION TO THE VIEWER: If I could juggle bowling pins, converse in Latin and dance a jig all at the same time, I would feel right at home with Mr. Gould.

PROS AND CONS: I have reviewed several in this series of Laserdiscs, so I am getting pretty accustomed to Mr. Gould’s eccentricities.

He was a genius for sure, but he would drive me nuts after five minutes of conversation. Normal human brains don’t function like his. While he was discussing musical theory with Yehudi Menuhin after playing an elaborate duet by Beethoven, it seemed that I was trying to decipher Aristotle and Plato arguing in ancient Greek.

After watching several of these discs, it becomes apparent, that Glenn Gould was the Lawrence Welk of Canadian Television in the 1970s and 1980s. It seems that the Canadians were a bit past the polka phase back then.


To read an overview of this project, check out this status posting.  

This film is a part of my LaserDisc Collection.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) entry for this film. 

This film was viewed while exercising on my recumbent cycle.  A summary of my time spent working out on my journey through movie-land can be found on Strava.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment