Tuesday, August 21, 2012

What I Really Want To Win

Delta-100_08-07-12025


I have changed my perspective on a lot of things since passing through the pearly gates of retirement.  When your value is in the form of a paycheck and you have benefits coming in every two weeks, the rest of the issues that swirl around us don't have the same urgency until you are no longer working. 

Issues such as health care, the economy and what is right, wrong, good and bad take on a new tint.  If you have had health care coverage through your employer and then have them taken away, you start taking it much more seriously.

It is with this new found perspective, that I find myself watching some of the commericals for various fast food outlets in which 'contests' are offered where you can win 'fabulous' prizes, like money, or a new car or a new Sony PS3 Gaming System.  Ohhh, Goodie. 

Are we really that stupid?  Is McDonald's or Jack in the Box really going to get me to eat more Tacos or Fish Sandwiches by offereing me a new Ford Explorer?  That is the last thing I want. 

If you want me to eat your fast food or shop at your supermarket, offer me these types of prizes;

Free Health Care for 5 years....I will shop at your store a LOT for that!

How about a free 4 year scholarship so I can go back to school and get retrained for a new career.

Maybe a free monitored security system to take up the slack left by the minimal coverage of the police force where I live. 

2 comments:

  1. Like!!!

    (Can't read the verification stuff)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Bruce,

    If I understand you correctly, you are only partly satisfied with your retired existence.

    Towards what activity would you like to be trained during four years? I hope this is not an indiscreet question.

    Cheers to you
    Georg

    ReplyDelete