Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Phase - 3

All of those Erector Sets I played with as a kid are now starting to make a lot of sense.

Dome_1

If you have followed this blog for any length of time (including my old Blog - Hypocrisy), you have no doubt heard me speak about Burning Man. I didn't go to Burning Man last year because life just got to busy. I regretted that decision. This year my wife and I are going, come hell or high water.

Dome_2

Burning Man is a type of event that you have to strive for. It isn't a walk in the meadow, it is the climb to a summit. From that summit, you can see all the meadows for miles. You have to push yourself to get there, which is one of the reasons I love to go. You have to challenge yourself, and the other 55,000 people that also show up have challenged themselves in the same way.

Dome_3

Since the first time I went, the goal of building a shelter in the wilderness has become my goal. I have always dreamed of building my own home somwhere with my own two hands. Burning Man has given me an avenue to that great experiment. My first trip to 'The Man' was with a small tent. Not a great idea. Too many dust storms turned it into a sandbox. My second attempt was my first Geodesic dome. It was made of cardboard and wood and it was sweet. Rugged, carpeted, air-conditioned. I love that dome. My third attempt was another dome made from drywall. Didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but pushed the envelope on what I could build and new construction technics.

Dome_6

So with 2012, I have developed dome #3. A radical departure. My past domes have been 'plate' domes made from triangles. This is a strut dome, made from different lengths of steel conduit. I constructed the frame and my wife is designing and sewing the covering for it.

Dome_5

After 2 months of fabrication and 2 days of construction, it now sits erected in my driveway for the neighbors to gawk at. Still can't beleive that it fits all together, with a total of 96 different struts.

The Man Burns in about 50 days. This is going to be interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Pretty cool dome!

    Looking forward to your Burning Man Post.

    The whole "Burning Man" festival sounds real awesome, think I'll put it on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Bruce,

    Wish you joy. But this dome seems too small to live inside comfortably. Do you project to construct something bigger?

    Georg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce,

    On C. Princess's blog you said the world ended around 1893 but you never explained why. Even Pricess asked you what you meant by this.

    Please explain.

    Georg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very neat and nice pictures of it! Can't wait to see how it looks with the covering!

    ReplyDelete