Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Politically Incorrect?

During the course of my employment I get to deal with individuals that have large families that are enrolled in state sponsored services. I have been trained in cultural diversity as a result of having to deal with these individuals. What might be considered a normal family environment for a Caucasian family of 2.5 children is going to be totally different than an Hispanic family of 8.2 children. I get that. What I don't get is the naming conventions that some minorities have regarding their brood. What does it tell you when the names of the children in a family are as follows; Tonisha, Taniqua, Tonosha, Tiquain, Toeneal, Tanque, Timaul? It tells me that the parents (usually the mother) think this is cute, and that they are completing a set or collection of children. The children probably don't really care, because they are individuals, but anyone having to deal with this family as a group is just going to roll their eyes and think to themselves, "Not again.". Then there are the families that name all their children after automobiles...I am just saying, there should be a law against giving out bizarre names to children.


2 comments:

  1. I think anytime a parent is pre-grouping their children in such a way that's at very least an orange flag.

    I don't get the folks who never say to themselves "What happens if my kid grows up to be an Alex P Keaton type of person? Will my hippy dippy ways prevent them from being taken seriously in life? If so -cough Apple cough- then I need to keep thinking."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Bruce,

    This strange name-giving seeems to be a world-wide phenomenom. We have it here, too. Like girls called Océane, Delphine etc. etc.

    People should refrain, too, to give their offspring names with a kind of program, like Dolores, Virginia, Jesus, Mohammed.

    Georg

    ReplyDelete