Saturday, October 15, 2011

Big Love



I’m A Mormon


I am a little concerned about something. Despite my wife and I watching less television, we noticed something of late that is really odd. I am curious if this is going on in the rest of the country or if this is a regional thing.

Now I am not trying to bash religion in this post. I have stated before that we all have the right to believe and worship however and whoever we want. But there has been an ad campaign smothering the airwaves where we live (American Southwest) that I find disturbing for its political undertones.

“I’m A Mormon” commercials have been popping up during Primetime here for the past three weeks. They are so slick and well done, that at first I didn’t really understand what they were.

They are comprised of two back-to-back 30 seconds spots, showing a run of the mill average guy, housewife, artist or teacher talking about their life, and gosh darn it they seem awfully happy and normal in a real neighbourly sort of way. Then at the end of each spot comes the tag line, “I’m [insert name here] and I’m a Mormon”.

I don’t ever recall seeing religious organizations ‘advertise’ for worshipers, but in effect, that is what this church is doing.

Alright, so be it. Lawyers didn’t use to advertise, but their law firms are plastered on the sides of buses in our town now. Doctors never used to advertise, but they have billboards touting their surgical prowess all over the place as well.

So it sort of makes sense for cash-strapped tax-free organizations to seek out and recruit more followers willing to tithe 10% of their income. Hey, if it floats your boat and makes you feel good, become a Mormon.

Only, we are entering the political campaign season and the leading Republican front runner is a …………….Mormon. Hmmmmmmm.

Is it just me, or are the lines of segregation between church and state becoming a little blurry these days?

4 comments:

  1. The only religious commercials I've seen up here are the ones for The Church of Latter Day Saints {usually its on US stations} with an underlying theme people today need to live by the teachings of Christ. I too believe we all have the right to believe and worship however and whoever we want" but I can't stand people shoving their beliefs down my throat.

    People who live in glass house shouldn't throw stones yet no one preaches like members of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are playing them here too.
    This is the god damn bible belt though, so I dont know why they bother.

    Its all creeping me the fuck out. This and all the Identity Theft "protection" they are hawking. Bad times may be afoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have yet to see any commercial like this....

    p.s. concerning the crate training, thats what we're doing. He is in his crate at night, and whenever one of us cant be in the den with him watching over him. Sometimes, when he's tired, he even goes in by himself. After 3 weeks, we've only have 3 messes in the crate, and he's usually in there for 8-9 hours at night so we've been pretty luck there.

    Its just everything else thats putting me thru a wall...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cocaine Princess - Well it's the same thing, right? Mormons & Church of Latter Day Saints?

    That's funny Bruce. I haven't seen the ads. But when I was first reading I was like, "Well that's nice." because, y'know, it seems like Mormons are a group that are thought of as really exotic or out there but that really just are normal folks. But then you got to the political thing and now I don't know what to think.

    ReplyDelete