Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Try, I Really Do!


From BLOGS_IMAGES

It all started back in late 1990s. I discovered that there was data loss on the database. Information was being deleted for no apparent reason, so I wrote an e-mail to all my superiors and the support center in the Information Technology Division. I never head anything back.

I raised the issue again in a meeting we had three months later and everyone around the table was SHOCKED at the data loss. “Why didn’t you tell anyone?”, my program manager asked me. “I did.”, I replied, I e-mailed everyone sitting at this table about it three months ago, didn’t anyone read it, I can forward it to you again, it still sits in my sent folder waiting for a reply.”

I could hear the shuffling of feet under the table and the nervous glances that everyone started throwing at each other. I was informed after the meeting by a supervisor in the hallway that “no one ever reads my e-mails”. If something was important, I had to force others to listen to me. I couldn’t type the word “FIRE” to someone, I had to go and yell it in their face.

Since that day, I have written several long and detailed memos / e-mails up the corporate ladder where I work regarding ‘issues’ that we have in our work process and redesigning our business model. All of them have gone into the same black hole of the e-mail waste bin.

I have also found that yelling it in their faces didn’t do much better. I raised these same issues in key management meetings, and pressed for time lines and focus groups to move these changes toward implementation. I am told they would be discussed later, but they never were.

So in the interim, I continue to run the race with concrete sneakers, doing three times the amount of work that is necessary to accomplish my job.

Yesterday, I got an e-mail from my manager regarding a report that is generated every month from our database that is showing expired information. I fixed this report 5 months ago and e-mailed out a draft of it to see if it met with everyones approval before setting it to run on the database server. You guessed it, I never heard back from anyone. I re-forwarded the e-mail to him and told him that I would schedule to run on the server by the end of the week.....as soon as I have run a few more laps in my lead track shoes.

If you look at the top of the right side panel of my web log you will see a count down timer for my retirement. That little clock cannot tick fast enough for me these days.

8 comments:

  1. Bless them!... they need it.
    While you're at ... work "easy" the rest of your numbered days.
    Find your rightful seat, your chair of generous spirit and stay there.
    Some how the ride seems smoother with a seatbelt clicked on tight.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent advise Teri.....I am trying....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap, that would make me nuts.
    The feeling of endless wasting my time while being obligated to be there would make me think seriously about going postal.

    May your days tick by faster, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG as I was reading your post I was thinking Bruce must be looking at his retirement countdown clock!

    It's almost as if no one cares about their jobs especially if they're not reading work~related emails.

    Here's wishing you a much relaxed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is so frustrating. And not just that, how rude of everyone.

    How about you have a silly photo attached to the important information and that might get everyone to read it?

    Or, better still, tell them that if they read and respond to the information that Angels will visit them and they will have good luck for the next ten years.

    Isn't that how emails work these days?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could happen eveerywhere, Bruce. What is needed is a hollering email like in the Harry Potter stories.

    Georg

    ReplyDelete
  7. you need to just count to 10, take a breath, and let it go.

    as you said, it wont be your problem much longer..

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is slyde, btw.. for some reason i cant sign in.

    ReplyDelete