Sunday, July 27, 2008

Non-Essential Cinema



The Dark 'Not'


I just finished viewing "The Dark Knight". I downloaded a pirated copy of the film from the internet, exported it to AppleTV via Quicktime Pro and spent most of Sunday morning seeing what all the hype was about. I know this is 'illegal', but after watching all 2+ hours of it, I am certainly glad that I did not pay to see this. I was less than thrilled with the film.

While this movie is 'slick' with all the bells and whistles that Hollywood can throw in these days I found it disturbing on a social level. Lets face it, most of the people that line up to see this sort of manufactured entertainment at the cineplex are pretty malleable. They don't think for themselves, and tend to believe what they see on Entertainment Tonight, U-Tube, MTV and reality television. They watch what they think is their world and try to emulate it.

So while watching "The Dark Knight", I saw the same 'escapist' mentality that I have seen in "Pulp Fiction" and "No Country For Old Men". These are films where troubled characters are set against antagonists without consequence regarding their actions. Violence is never punished, in fact it is encouraged. There is no laws applicable to the main characters. No one is ever stuck in jail and left to sit there for 40 days until their arraignment. It is all action, plot twist, explosions and violence. What do the tweens lining up to spend their minimum wage earnings take away from this sort of entertainment? Very little I fear.

If that were not bad enough, there also seems to be a suspension of the laws of physics in these films that no one seems to question. When the Joker rigs up Gotham General Hospital to explode via remote controlled cell phone.....where did he find the time and the resources to rig these 48 explosive charges on all the floors? When he rigs the ferries to explode, how does he get all the 55 gallon drums of fuel on board and where did he get the fancy triggers for them? How is he is able to surgically implant a cell phone and explosives in a mental patient and come up with rocket launchers on short notice? Why is it that when an action sequence occurs among a crowd of police every officer is ineffectual in solving any of the problems? At this point, Star Wars is almost as believable as this film.

The acting was good, Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman are always fascinating to watch. Christian Bale is OK, and Heath Ledger was not all that impressive. It is much easier to play psycho well than it is to play smoldering and intense without all the manic behavior. I was more impressed with the dialog that the script writers were able to come up with along with the stunt work than I was with the acting.

I like my cinema to make me think and give me a glimpse of a larger world I have not seen or comprehended. This film didn't do it for me.

8 comments:

  1. I saw The Dark Knight last night at the cinema and I loved it, so obviously I'm gonna disagree with your assessment of the film.

    All of your questions regarding the believability of the film can be answered with one statement. It's an adaptation of a comic-book. It's not supposed to be believable. The protagonist is a billionaire martial artist who dresses up like a bat to fight crime. C'mon.

    Anyone who goes into a film like this with any kind of skepticism is doomed to hate it. No matter what happens in the film.

    As for the acting, I thought this was Heath Ledger's film. Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and Christian Bale all had their moments, but it was a tour de force from Ledger. In my opinion, at least. Bale spent too much time as the Batman in this film (as opposed to Batman Begins) to really impress me with his acting. Once he becomes Batman, the suit and the gadgets do most of the acting.

    Sure it was escapist and violent, but if you think the main characters weren't held accountable by laws, morals or ethics then I think you may have missed part of the point of the film.

    The Joker was a sociopath, working entirely outside of the law with no fear of the consequences. Batman saw a part of himself in the Joker which is why he was so impressed with the "white knight" of Gotham. D.A. Harvey Dent. He wanted Dent to take over and clean up the city the right way. The legal way. The Joker, with his desire to burn the whole damned thing down, made that impossible.

    I thought it was an impressive study of heroes and misconceptions.

    I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me re-phrase. This is a GREAT comic book movie. The bad thing about it, is that it is a comic book movie. For those that believe that graphic picture novels are the new age literature of our time, you will love this film.

    Growing up, I read Casper and Archie comics and I have no desire to see them made into films. For those that loved Captain America and Batman and think that this film is great.....well.....your childhood is lasting much longer than mine did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understand.

    There is a certain stigma to being a "comic-book guy" and an adult at the same time. Impossible to defend to someone who thinks that comic-books are something that should be put away once pubic hairs begin to sprout. Thats a mind you just aren't gonna change.

    I like comic-books (although it's been about 10 years since I've actively read them), and I like comic-book movies. I don't think there is anything childish (or child-like) about it. Good stories are good stories no matter what the medium.

    But I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your opinion about all the Oscar buzz that's surrounding the late Heath Ledger for his performance as the Joker?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a very good performance, I will give him that. He plays a very good insane criminal genius. Considering that he has to say the words that the scriptwriters give him and follow the direction of the director, he could have done no better.

    But my guess is, that the Academy isn't going to want to promote this type of character on screen. It isn't so much acting (portraying emotion) as it is just acting really super crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still must see it I'm afraid. Hope I like it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Academy has awarded actors for their psychotic, dangerous and/or crazy roles before.

    Lead Actors:
    Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
    Geoffrey Rush - Shine
    Nicolas Cage - Leaving Las Vegas
    Anthony Hopkins - Silencd of the Lambs
    Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

    Supporting Actors:
    Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
    Kevin Kline - A Fish Called Wanda

    OK, that last one may have been a stretch. And these don't even include the numerous actors and actresses that have been awarded for playing mentally handicapped individuals...something the Academy loves!

    As for Ledger's performance, I'm not sure if he will win or even get nominated. But there was a lot more there than just reading the lines in the script and doing what the director asked. From everything I have read about the film, Ledger was instrumental in creating the nuances (the speech pattern, the licking of the lips, the playing with the hair, the odd walk, etc...) that really MADE the character, IMHO.

    Christopher Nolan wanted Ledger for the role because he said that he was the only actor he knew who had no fear. And that was something he wanted for the Joker. No fear.

    I think it worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was dragged to see it at 1:20am (and yes, it ended at 4am). it wasn't that bad, i mean, i'm not really a big fan of those type of movies (superhero/sci fi.. whatever), but i didn't fall asleep (given that it was so late lol)

    ReplyDelete