Wednesday, June 7, 2006

Losing The Race

They gave us the option of taking the afternoon off and working from home in order to avoid the traffic hassles. The march organizers expected over 100,000 people to march through the streets of downtown Phoenix, Arizona. Immigration Rights is what it was all about, but must folks I know thought it was more of a protest for a free ride. The march route was going to lead right past my office window, so I was going to have a birds-eye view.



Imigration March, Phoenix, May 2006


I didn't take the day off like most of my co-workers since I only live a mile from work and usually walk home in the afternoon. (I hate commuting). The march started around 1am and when I turned around to look out my window at 2pm, there was nothing but a wall of white t-shirts and a little hispanic boy peering in through the window at me.



Imigration March, Phoenix, May 2006


I took the time to go up to the roof of the building and takes some pictures of this sea of humanity. This ocean of hispanics that were demanding inclusion, even though most of them had cheated in the process. In scanning the crowd, I noticed something that made me pause and think. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that we had lost the race. America had screwed up, and it wasn't from not locking down the boarders.



Imigration March, Phoenix, May 2006


It was the baby carriages. The infant stollers pushed by a legion of hispanic women. There were thousands of them in the crowd. I was amazed at how many of these mothers could take the day off and bring their children downtown. I assumed that most of them did not work outside the home and were full time moms.



Imigration March, Phoenix, May 2006


This is what we had lost. The goal of the family and focus on the raising of the chld. While we were all off working two jobs to afford our lavish lifetyle, the hispanics have been concentrating on the basics. Family, home and hearth. The things we used to hold so dear. But we lost our way and they have came in to fill the gap.

Welcome to minority status White America. We screwed up.

2 comments:

  1. Don’t get the fact that the catholic religion has problems with birth control confused with something wholesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steele says it right there Bruce. Also, if you are an illegal alien aka undocumented worker, having a baby makes it easier for you to stay here.

    Plus there is that whole hispanic machismo stuff that puts a women firmly in the home. I have a whole post coming up about that.

    but yes, family. paramount.

    ReplyDelete