Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Am I Obsessed?


From BLOGS_IMAGES


I made a decision a few weeks ago, that I was going to stop collecting LaserDiscs. I have over 600 of them, all filed and stored in plastic sleaves for protection. I have set up a small media room to view them all (when I retire) and have them all cataloged online.

So, last weekend, the wife wanted to go out and find a new area rug for the dining room prior to Easter dinner and she wanted me to go with her(to help her carry the thing if she found one she liked). I agreed, even though I was bone tired after having worked in the yard most of the day.

We found the rug she wanted and loaded it into our truck. On the way home I needed to stop by Ace Hardware to pick up a toilet part for the toilet that was re-installing. Before we go there, we deceided to stop by a local Savers (a type of thrift store here) to see if there was anything that caught our eye.

While browsing through the old record albums,.....I came upon the Holy Grail of Laserdisc collections. I found over 45 of them, many unopened and all either hard to find concert disks or foreign films that are rare as hens teeth, even on DVD. [Brucie loves him some Truffaut, Goddard and Fellini] At $3.99 each, they were cheaper than anything I could find on ebay. Needless to say, I plunked down almost $200 for the whole collection and wheeled them out to the truck.

So now my collection is pushing 680 Laserdiscs. According to my online LaserDisc tracking database account, that is over 1,199.3 hours of video that I can watch, which is well over 50 days worth of viewing, non-stop. If you want to browse my whole collection you can see it on the LaserDisc Spreadsheet in my Google documents account.

So, is this healthy, or am I a some sort of obsessed fruit cake?

4 comments:

  1. It sounds harmless enough to me. Collect to your heart's content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Malka. Sometimes when I go to Staples, they have this bin of DVDs {to my surprise Staples is now selling DVDS along side laptops}. The DVDS are mostly B~rated films- direct to DVD and God help me I have over 100 of them. They sell for about 3.99 and some of them actually turned out to be pretty good movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if it causes fights between you & your wife, if there are essentials you can't pay for because you've spent all your money on laser discs, if you arrive late to work because you spent too long at the cd store or similar stuff then YES! You're an obsessed fruit cake.

    If not (and I'm going to go with not) it sounds harmless to me. And just think, you'll have a bunch of stuff to watch when you're 80 or 90 and don't have the wherewithal to do some of your other hobbies. That's why I don't worry about missing all the TV people are always telling me I should watch. When I'm too old to do much else, I'll have a lot to watch.

    ReplyDelete