Friday, August 8, 2008

Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses....



Land of the Free?

I have written in the past regarding the right wing verses left wing political view and how they seem to change over time as we age and have more life experience.

So I am sort of on the fence when it comes to the homeless here in Phoenix, AZ. I see more of them than most. They ride the buses, hang out around Circle K begging for money, they sleep in the parks and push shopping carts around collecting aluminum cans and scrap metal to sell for money.

Today was particularly fun, as I rode the free downtown shuttle to the Health Club during lunch, and found myself sandwiched between 35 transients on a bus that was designed to hold 25. It was a pleasant experience. The fact that they place the local homeless shelter (actually is a campus, it is the size of a large high school) between the State Supreme Court Building and Phoenix City Hall does not make the situation any better. White collar professionals and the homeless don't really like to mix it up that much.

Although, having been in close proximity to them for so long, I have come to admire them in some ways. It is evident that most of them 'choose' this lifestyle. Years of partying and drug abuse will make you end up here, and most of them choose to stay. Some are a bit loopy and some just like the freedom of having nothing but what is on their backs. I have seen more than I can count sifting through ash trays for cigarette butts to smoke, and I have seen others sitting under a shade tree reading Tolstoy. Just like the rest of society, it takes all kinds to fill up this subset of the population.

Which is why I don't think they should be offered any assistance what-so-ever. Aside from handing out protein bars and water so they don't starve, I believe that the social service agencies that 'cater' to these homeless are only enabling them to continue to fail. You have to fear reaching rock bottom in order to avoid it. If you hit rock-bottom and find that it isn't that bad some folks tend to want to stay. Throw in free showers, clothing, health care and food, and they will never leave.

I have ridden the downtown shuttle enough times to hear and see this legion of the downtrodden in action. These homeless have a 'system' and they know how to play it to their advantage. They know what agencies are handing out free 'stuff' on what days and the quickest and cheapest way to get between the shelters. They know what to say to get special treatment and they know the best places to sleep at night where the police won't harass them.

The better angels of our nature tell us to be compassionate and help the poor, but this is a farce. When the poor are poor by choice, the better angels of our nature are enabling the poor to remain poor. There is an old saying, that "the child won't leave home until you padlock the refrigerator". Work is never easy, and the rewards of success come slowly with time, but it is better to force them to realize this ethic than to allow them to simply survive.

In an election year, where we will all have to decide between liberal and conservative, what are your thoughts on this issue? Feel free to throw some stones at me in the comment section.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! You are bold to post such a thing in this environment. I rarely see things from this side of the fence.

    However, I'm on with you in my opinions. I'm not sure every single homeless person is there by choice (but possibly by not choosing if not by choosing), but I would say most have made a choice to not do anything to change the situation. And as other segments of the population, aiding and assisting is only enabling.

    Bravo on your bravery to take the stones that will inevitably come, but by a long shot, they won't come from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, most do chose it. I've known quite a few myself. There are some who are mentally disabled and cannot care for themselves, however, and no one in their family wants to take care of them either. I've been homeless a couple of times because of financial circumstances- believe me, when you have kids, its no fun at all. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to work the system or what to say to get special treatment. I had to wait months to be approved for housing. So did another single mother I knew, who ended up living in the forest for almost a year, waiting for the state to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There isn't any homeless people where I live but go into the city and there's plenty holding out their hands or holding signs at the underpass. Many are emotionally unbalanced. The local city news did a special once and several people were living on the street for ten years! In ten years you'd think they would at least be able to fix their situation. There are people/agencies who can help them but I guess some choose not to be helped. The worst has to be the teens, a lot of them don't have a choice, many of them are thrown out by their own parents or are abused. But I understand your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not going to engage in a political debate but I do want to say... you have FREE public transport? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember, when i was a kid, i asked mom why she gave them money (loose change around the car), and she told me that she'd rather have them begging for money than stealing and such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, i cant say that i necissarily dissagree with you, but i will say that, right or wrong, its a tough road to go down to not help out those in need..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise: Some are not there by choice, but those that are need to be given deadlines and expectations and not just keep 'working the system'.

    Itinerary: But didn't want to be homeless and strove to overcome the issue. There should be help, but it should be with condition. The fact that it took over a year for you to get it only speaks to the sorry state of social services in general in this country.

    Princess: There are a million sad stories in the naked city. No one every plans on being homeless and many times it is not by choice (abusive relationships, natural disasster, poor planning) and there should be agencies to give a hand and leg up for those, but there has to be efficency and consequences for those that do not strive to help themselves in some way.

    Kirkby: Yeah, free downtown public transit baby. Many large cities have it for their downtown areas...I know Denver does as well. Outside downtown, you have to pay.

    Noelia: Your mother has a point. Although, what is to say they won't panhandle AND steal, regardless.

    Slyde: I am all for helping, but I am not for helping endlessly, without consequence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm they're lazy, they look lazy.. i don't think they're going to put much effort NOW to actually get the money themselves

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really know where to start here, but I have to say that I was utterly appalled when I finished reading this post, along with most of the comments.

    Is this really how people view the homeless?

    I see this from a completely different perspective. People are not homeless because it is an appealing lifestyle. I don't know anybody that would love to sleep on the streets, starving at night, surviving off of the little money that those compassionate souls can offer. I don't know anyone who would welcome the dirty looks or the people who turn the corner immediately after seeing them. I don't know anybody who likes to sit on a street corner, begging for pocket change, feeling like they are worthless and having no remnants of dignity left to their name. Then there's also the isolation from society and the fear of never being accepted again because of where they are.

    I myself was almost homeless a couple of times, and I can tell you that it surely was not because my parents were lazy or thought that it might be a fun adventure to raise their children on the streets. If it weren't for social service programs, my family and I probably would be on the streets right now.

    I have a challenge for all of you that think that homeless people are lazy, and enjoy being homeless. Instead of just walking by some of these people on the streets or even just tossing them your spare change, although it doesn't sound like you would do that, talk to them. Find out how they came to be where they are now. Learn their names and their stories and then see if you could live with yourself if you told them some of these comments.

    I pray that somebody accepts this challenge and sees this topic in a different light. May God bless all of you. I hope that this response has given you something new to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit, that it has been over 3 years since I wrote this blog. That said, after re-reading it, my views have certainly not changed, but I am still amazed that people will comment on it and not really address what is being said. Instead only taking issues with my point of view and not really engaging in a dialogue about what has been stated.

    While this issue may vary from region to region, where I live, the majority of homeless are related to substance abuse, either Meth or Alcohol. I don't just 'look' at them, I have to deal with them on a daily basis. I am a social worker, and they ALL know were to get a meal, a place to sleep and free clothes. I am certain that they would ALL like to live in a nice house and have money to buy all the things they want, but they are unwilling to do so.

    Charity is one thing, it should offered gladly and willingly, but repeat charity simply becomes and entitlement, in which case we are dooming these people to failure and an endless cycle of substance abuse and life on the streets.

    ReplyDelete