Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Not Being Subtle



In The Lap Of Luxury

We have been busy the past couple of days, hence the limited time to blog and read blogs.

We have been finishing up a home improvement project. That leaves about another 20 of them to go before we can just start 'living' in our house.

What we have pictured here is called the 'Venus Bath'. It is the master bathroom in our home. We totally gutted the old bathroom down to the studs and insulation and had it rebuilt. The cost (with help from George Bush's Tax Incentive Check) was in the five digit range. It took almost 3 weeks for the contractor to complete the job.

A few specifics about the bathroom. It has a hand pounded, free-standing copper bathtub that we purchased in Mexico. The ceiling is stamped aluminum sheeting that is hand-painted (by my wife). The custom facets for the tub cost in excess of $600. Since all the toilets that we looked at are now 'low flow' toilets that sit about 10 inches off the floor, we had our new one raised up off the floor to match the design motif for the tub. The room contains two wall size mirrors (framed to match the crown molding ... also hand-painted by my wife) that face each other and give an 'infinite window effect' for the room. The mural is tile, mounted to a plywood base, framed with cermic tile and hung on the wall. It weighs about 120lbs. Its cost was just under $1,000.

The tub will easily hold two adults and since it is metal, retains a lot of heat. After sitting in it for 45 minutes, the water is still pretty hot.

Suffice to say, that the wife and I will be taking a lot more baths in the future.

To see more pictures of the 'Venus Bath', check out the Flickr page by clicking the Blog Title.

12 comments:

  1. very snazzy....

    when you mentioned that the tub fit 2, was that a subtle offer for me to join you? if so, im going to have to pass..

    ReplyDelete
  2. On two conditions.....my wife has to pass away before I do....and you have to have a sex change operation.....by a VERY good surgeon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a "bath thing." Your bathroom is amazing! I think I would have a worse "bath t hing" if that were my bathroom.

    A tub for two is nice, even if there is only one in it!

    And although the numbers were high, I'm impessed with the mural price (low in my opinon), and your wife for all that painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slyde is just being coy.

    He's all about funtime/playtime/bathtime. He's tried to lure me one a few different occassions.

    So far I've been strong and rebuffed his advances. But damn is he insistent! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG it's gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I am sure your wife will be thanking you in the bathtub 7 days a week!!!! The mural is fantastic, breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap that is an awesome bathroom. And I thought I was living the high life because I have two sinks in my master bath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A marvelous shot of this part of your new bathroom.I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the renovation process. May you enjoy this addition each each day and forget the cost! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your bathroom is fabulous.

    I dream of a free standing bath. I am thinking more of a victorian type with ball & claw feet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOOOOOW!! That is absolutely gorgeous!!! Really REally beautiful. I'd love to see some pics of the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how lovely to see a bathroom that is not hideously utilitarian. I would use the word voluptuous to describe this gorgeous room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to say it again because it' worth repeating- what a gorgeous bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!!!!! That is an amazing looking bathroom. I've looked at a BUNCH of bathrooms (yes, in general because posting pictures of bathrooms is my ridiculous hobby but also bec. I've been house shopping) and I've seen quite a few bathrooms that didn't even HAVE a tub. I've been all happy at tubs that are at least halfway decent sized. Anyway, off to your flickr to try & find more bathroom pictures...

    ReplyDelete