Thursday, August 14, 2008

Olympics ?



The Agony of Defeat?

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa...wait a minute folks. Last time I looked, the name of this Blog was Hypocrisy, so I can't let this get away without a comment.

Last night, while I was channel surfing I came across the nightly Olympic Broadcast. There in all its glory was Women's Beach Volleyball. I don't know when this became an Olympic sport, but hey, what ever floats your boat.

About 2 hours later, before I went to bed, I surfed a few more channels, and much to my surprise, Women's Volleyball was still going strong.

I know from experience, that there are hundreds of events at the Olympics. Cycling, Rowing, Equestrian, Archery, Cross Country and many, many more. So why is it that the networks here in the States devote about 90% of their coverage to athletes that cover about 10% of their bodies in skin hugging Lycra?

In my view, the reason appears pretty simple. The game is easy to understand (no complex scoring or rules), the women have hard bodies, and they don't wear ANYTHING. What could be better for entertaining an ignorant and simplistic audience.

Don't get me wrong, they are athletes and damn good ones. But I hardly think they rate more than 30 minutes of Olympic coverage. Do women watch the men's swimming competition because they find the skills needed fascinating, or are they just ogling hard bodies?

This is as much about sports as the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. This is about ratings and and dumbing things down to a target audience that has zero attention span and over active libidos.

Personally, I would love to watch the rowing championships (lettered in it in college) or the wind surfing competition, although watching a race that takes 20 minutes and is hard to understand probably won't attract too many viewers either (unless they do it in the nude).

I can't understand why anyone would be interested in this whole charade, unless you had a really big ego and a really ripped body. This isn't sport, this is a media feeding frenzy to sell Doritos and Coca-Cola.

6 comments:

  1. I missed the last Olympics but have caught some of this one and could not believe the clothes (or lack thereof) of the Women's Volleyball. It doesn't personally bother me; they ARE ripped and hard-bodied. (At least he Americans, I would argue that a couple of other teams would do better in something besides a bikini.) So I caught a glimpse of Men's Beach Volleyball, and they had on baggy shorts and shirts. What's up with that?

    As for why I watch Men's swimming? I like to watch Americans win. Those bodies don't do that much for me.

    Back to the volleyball... something else I didn't understand was the 2-4 seconds of screaming music between each point--a different. song. every. time. I just didn't get the point. I guess I'm not really a "sports" oriented person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NBC is generally showing the stuff that grabs ratings, and semi-nekkid women diving around the sand grabs ratings.

    I have to admit that I watch the beach volleyball, but I would also like to watch the rowing or the wind-surfing. Cable doesn't allow you to do that, but I hear that certain satellite systems let you watch whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that NBC is investing all the money into this to get the ratings. I would agree that the wide range of sports are not being covered well. I did get to see some rowing and enjoyed that - and the smog that was so visible! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The women's costumes are designed to a strict lycra proporion code/rule. The men's costume also has to meet specific standards, but it covers the entire body. There is no valid reason for the women to wear such skimpy costumes (don't get me wrong, they have lovely and strong healthy bodies). Go and look at the men's and women's uniform in most sports - the women are always sexed up.

    Apart from that moan - I do like watching the men's gymnastics. Such beautiful form and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know what you mean. whenever i hear "olympics" i always think of gymnastics, but i haven't seen much of that in a while.. then again, i'm not one to just sit there and watch people jump around. actually, earlier i was watching the swimming meets (or whatever).. the women looked kinda like men :s lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete