Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Own Private Idaho



Welcome To "My" World


This might seem silly, and something that a 53 year old man really shouldn't be doing, but it is theraputic. Sort of like gardening, or organizing your receipts before taxes. It brings order and a sense of purpose.

This is my little corner of the world, even if it is just in my head. It is a city. A city I could walk in my sleep. I know where everything is, and how everything works. I know what subway to take to get to the airport. I can stroll through the zoo and then head over to my little cottage on the cape.

This is a city called "Hypocrisy" that I have created in SimCity 3000. It resides on a little (128K) thumb-drive in my office at work. I plug it once or twice a week and check on the little lemmings that worship me as a God (albiet a very benevolent one).

In my little city, there is order, purpose and lots of parks and fountains. It is eco-friendly and thoughtfully laid out with lots of mass transit. The welfare of my citizens is most important, not making short term profits for the fat-cats in the high rise glass towers.

In essence, it is a perfect place. A place of refuge and serenity in the very complex real world. If you click on the image you will be whisked away to a 'really' big map of my city, where you can roam around and check out the sites like: The Power Stations (wind turbines, nuclear and microwave), the light house on the point, the bread and breakfast community on the coast (completely powered by solar energy), the farm fields in the southwest and the rail line that cuts through the scenic mountains to the coast.

So much for fantasy...time to get back to work.

7 comments:

  1. oh, there you are! Well now I know where to look for you.

    hmmm. Serenity. We were both thinking about that topic today. I'm presently finding an oddly strange sense of serenity right here at work, running some computations. The logical order of numbers is so amazingly soothing.

    Hope all is well
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing silly about it. Sometimes we all need that mental break even if it is in the middle of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I hope your mother-in-law is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to your blog but I thought I would say hello and tell you I am enjoying both your photography and your words. I appreciate your candor. Aging is a whole new path that I never really imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can really relate to this. Especially since I have been involved in Farmville on Facebook. I actually dream of planting crops and getting enough FV$$ to buy another block of land to plant more.

    I also love dolls houses and train sets. My world with things just how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. in a million years i would never have thunk that you would play Simcity....

    so, when are we going to play Left 4 Dead over the net together?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slyde, I don't know if a first person shooter over the net is really my cup of tea. However, if you want to match wits on a strategic war-game simulation, I would be willing to kick your but in an online game of Empire Deluxe. It is just like SimCity and Farmville, only with Attack Helicopters and Nukes.

    ReplyDelete