Friday, April 24, 2015

Cinema Cycle - The Little Mermaid


CINEMA CYCLE
(Cardio Workout And Reviewing Movies At The Same Time)

08483.jpg
Screenshot_2015-04-24-08-18-04.jpg

DATE VIEWED: 04/24/2015


FORMAT: LaserDisc

TIME RIDDEN / FILM LENGTH: 1 hour 22 minutes

DISTANCE RIDDEN WHILE VIEWING: 18.5 miles

TOTAL CINEMA MILES LOGGED: 1580.9 miles

SYNOPSIS: A teenage mermaid longs to be human in order be with the man of her dreams.

CONCEPT IN RELATION TO THE VIEWER: Young female frustrations and desires.  Deals made with the devil never end well, unless you have “Its A Wonderful Life” friends to save the day.

PROS AND CONS: First off, I am not a huge fan of Disney, especially their animated work of this genre.  That said, this is an entertaining film.  While I am not certain, I believe that it is one of the last all hand animated films that Disney produced.  There are no computer graphics or digital animation in this film.  The hands-on process brings a warmer and more surreal aspect to the film than the current crop of Disney / Pixar fair.

I am going to bite my tongue on the whole “raised by Disney’ aspect of this film and the unreal expectations that it gives young impressionable woman.  Suffice to say, that if I had a daughter and she watched this film, I would have a long discussion with her about what expectations and reality are.

The primary mover in most Disney films such as this is the music, and this film does not disappoint.  I will be humming “Under The Sea” and “Kiss The Girl” for the rest of the day. The most memorable character in the film is the evil sea witch Ursula.  That is one bad ass villain.

To read an overview of this project, check out the initial post for this series.

This film is a part of my LaserDisc Collection.

Clicking on the title will take you to the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) entry for this film. 

This film was viewed while exercising on my recumbent cycle.  A summary of my time spent working out on my journey through movie-land can be found on Strava.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment