Monday, August 3, 2009

The Truth Hurts



Wii Fit My Ass



I am a pretty frugal guy. Unless there are some exceptions, I don't' tend to run out and buy something the minute it hits the shelves. I don't want to pay the high markup and don't really want to be in the 'click' of being one of the first to have something. Experience has taught me that everything I have ever wanted will show up in a thrift store someday at a 90% discount. I am still waiting for the slightly dented Ferrari Testarossa to show up on Criagslist for $400 or best offer.

So, despite the fact that I am real Nintendo person (no Playstation or Xbox for me), I waited to buy a Wii. It wasn't hard, since they were pretty much impossible to find in my neck of the woods for the first 2 years that they were available. But I finally picked one up about 8 months ago and gleefully hooked it up.

I was impressed with its connectivity, design and controls. Hooked up to our wireless WiFi network it gets free news feeds from all over the world, has a weather channel, an Internet browser and loads of other nifty features....not to mention playing really cool games. It has re-awakened my love of golf.

So this past weekend, I was out at my favorite toy store (Fry's Electronics) and I spied a pile of Wii Fit add-ons for the Wii. I had wanted this since I played with one at my daughter-in-laws house about 6 months ago. So I picked one up. They have been out for about a year and have been impossible to get. So this was my chance.

I took it home and hooked up the balance board, which was a snap. Nintendo really knows how to make this product work well. As my wife worked at the dining room table on some stained glass design, I powered up the Wii and it greeted me with a cheery voice and said I had to take a test first so that it could set up custom routines for me. Sweeeeet. So I did the balancing thing and it weighted me and asked a bunch of questions like height and age and how much my clothes weighed, etc....

When it was all done, it told em to wait while it calculated my BMI (body mass index) and figured out what my Wii Fit Age would be. As my little avatar on the screen hopped up and down in anticipation of the results, my wife glanced up from her craft work to see the results as well.

The end result.......I am OBESE...with a Wii Fit age of 58 (I am 52 years old). Ouch....the truth hurts. No sooner was I informed of my condition than I heard my wife roll off her chair laughing.

The Wii told me I needed to lose some weight and that it would help me set up an exercise routine to meet my predefined goal. My response was an explicative that I can't repeat here.

So for the next 3 months it is going to be me against the Wii.....I will prevail. I will not be an obese 58 year old. I am going to be a sleek 52 year old that kicks ass. Bring it on Wii.......it is you and me....mano-y-mano.

(P.S.....my opinion of Nintendo went down a little yesterday, when someone tells you, you are fat, it is sort of hard to like them)

12 comments:

  1. The best part of the we fit is your avatar gets bigger or smaller too depending on your fit status, and it will not let you change untill your weight does!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note -- Bruce neglected to add that his wife - age 57, had a BMI of age 43. Sweet!! He got himself a younger woman and I just love big obese teddy bears...!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know "Honey", as moderator of my Blog I could delete your comment, but because I love ya so much (and since I dig the younger 43 year (Wii) old women), I will let it slide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wii-Fit is an awesome way to lose weight!!

    P.S. Really ute comment Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ROFL!! Kudos for self- control- I would have called the Wii a many expletives and thrown the control at the screen. Probably.

    If I can afford to, I'll probably get a wii for my family. My husband had been wanting one for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wii fit is good, but if you want what i consider to be a much better, more cardio-oriented workout, go get yourself EA-ACTIVE for the wii.

    it uses the balance board (if u want it to), and it set you up with a 30 day workout plan that i think is actually quite good....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that EA's Active is a much better workout, but it's not nearly as engaging. I lost interest after about two weeks ... I couldn't even stick it out for the 30-day challenge.

    Wii Fit, while a weaker workout, is more fun. I look forward to it every day. I like how Wii Fit keeps track of my weight and insults me.

    As far as your Mii/Avatar's physique changing as you lose weight, mine looks the same (now that I'm merely overweight) as it did when I was obese.

    Good luck! Most of the time, the Wii beats the human. Hope you succeed!

    - Greg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, BTW, my blog is at http://www.wiifatmarathon.com. If you think getting in better shape with the Wii is impossible, check it out.

    - Greg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear! Well...either you faked your avatar or the wii's opinions leave a little something to be desired. I always wait on stuff too. From what I've heard, I think I'd really enjoy a wii fit, but then I'd have to introduce video games into a video game free home. I think I'll just stick to Denise Austin videos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jill,

    You don't like the Wii's opinions? With a BMI of 34+, should the Wii say you're "fluffy"? :)

    But don't think of the Wii as a video game, as least not in the traditional sense.

    - Greg

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree with Greg, the Nintendo line of video games are exceptional and are what the video game should have been before it got all corrupted with violence and commericalism. The Wii is one of those devices that can actually 'enhance' your life, which is something that can't be said about most other video games.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that's funny.
    We have a Wii also, and still waiting for a drop in price before purchasing the Wii fit. We like to think we are hold outs, but won't be able to hold out much longer!

    ReplyDelete