Thursday, May 26, 2011

How Gullible Are We?


From BLOGS_IMAGES
"Your Vote Counts...Really?"


It has been a busy past couple of weeks. As is usual this time of year, my job is melting down and we are deep within the depths of triage management at my office. Add to this the fact that my wife and I were off on a 4 day 5th wedding anniversary weekend and it leaves little time for getting on the Internet and reading blogs or browsing ebay auctions.

So, while I am picking up the pieces of my life right now and have some killer web logs in 'draft' mode waiting in the wings, I thought I would throw this little ditty out here for consideration.

As I have stated previously, one of our guilty pleasures are some of the more insane reality shows that infest broadcast media these days. I never miss "The Amazing Race" and "Top Shot" has its moments, but one of our long standing favorites is "Dancing with the Stars". Never mind that they really aren't 'stars' and that the show is more geared to hip-hop and popular culture than ballroom dancing.

So we tuned into the final show to see Hines Ward get the mirrorball and get all teary eyed thanking his Korean-American mother and ignoring the absent father that abandoned him so many years ago.

My issue here is, how do we KNOW he won. The last dancer standing on this show is chosen by some mystical calculation of judges scores and phone in votes. However, NEVER in the history of this show, have they bothered to explain HOW these totals are calculated nor what the actual numbers are. Did Hines win by a landslide or by less than 1%. Tuff shit viewer, we aren't going to tell you.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the winner of the show, has the agent that offers the most in kickbacks to the producers. How else could you explain how Bristol Palin and Kirstie Alley lasted into the finals?

It is 'entertainment' folks, not 'competition'. They are there to sell soft drinks and pharmaceuticals, not dance competitively. Let’s get real here. Would we accept the election of the President of the United States without knowing the numbers, or would we just assume that Sara Palin is Commander In Cheif just because Tom Brokaw tells us she is?

I will be back in the next week or so with more enlightening and better written web logs, but in the mean time, follow me on:

Flickr
Twitter
and
Facebook

1 comment:

  1. I actually watched it this season. Ralph Macchio had admitted when he was younger he took tap dancing lessons and so I thought he would have lasted towards the end but I was shocked he was voted out! I wanted Romeo to win seeing how he was my fave. I usually find these shows as more of popularity contest rather than a talent contest. I look forward to your next installment on this.

    P.S. Happy {Belated} Anniversary

    ReplyDelete